Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mexican Fiesta for my bro

Nachos my style

This year i decided on a Mexican theme for my bro's birthday. One because its easy to prepare and two because we've never had it. So over the next few days i went about listing the things i wanted to do...

Nachos for Starters/Snacks
Guacamole and Salsa for dips
Tacos and Burritos for dinner
Birthday cake for dessert

Honesty i was amazed at how effortless it was. I did have a few hiccups which i perfectly resolved (some of them anyway). Most of the time is spent cutting up and preparing the ingredients, which can be done and stored ahead of time.

For the nachos, i made some homemade salsa which was uber good according to G and some guacamole which was bad (because of the avocado). I squeezed the top of the avo and it was soft so i thought it would be ripe enough. Came home, split the avo open and to my horror it was not ripe .. i couldn't mush it.. sigh.. i had to resort to a ricer but needless to say it was bad.. when i do it again with RIPE avos i'll blog about it then.

As for the Nachos, got my chips and salsa from the supermarket and all i had to do was the cheese. I hate the grated-cheese-over-the-nachos-and-bake-till-it-melts-and-then-hardens-again version.. i like my cheese gooey all the way through so i melted my cheese with a little bit of cream which i then drizzled generously over the nachos.

Salsa

The salsa.. really simple ingredient and that is what Mexican food is to me.. fresh and natural. First i chopped some red onions and steeped it in lime juice. Then in another bowl, I added chopped tomatoes (without the seeds), some chopped cilantro and some chopped garlic.
Then i added the onions and the juice they were steeped in. Salt and pepper for seasoning an that's all !!!

Hard Shells or Soft Shells

You are either a hard shell person or soft shell and i am most defenitely soft.. i don't even like my subway toasted because i like soft and soggy bread. Anyways, since the family hasn't had either before, i got equal numbers for each. Accompaniments to Tacos/Burritos were seasoned lamb (the seasoning comes in the taco kit), taco sauce, sour cream, grated cheese, lettuce leaves, chopped tomatoes, sliced onions and re-fried beans (they were like dried baked beans so nothing extraordinary).

I have since found out that my family prefers burritos to tacos. All the burritos were gone and no one wanted a second taco.

After the cake my bro had to leave to meet his friends but he really enjoyed himself and i for once was not tired after a dinner party.


No comments:

Post a Comment