Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ceaser Salad

A different Ceaser Salad

I had got some romaine leaves last Friday with the intention of making ceaser salad as the week before i had got some anchovies. I had got the recipe whilst watching Jaime on TV in Australia. I haven't combed through his books yet but i'm guessing the recipe should be there somewhere.

I didn't have chicken, bread or croutons. Jaime's recipe called for baking chicken legs over a bed of torn bread so that the juices from the roast would be soaked up by the bread. Anyway i did it with what i had. Into a bowl i through in the romaine lettuce (washed and dried of course), some tomatoes (usually not in Ceaser's), mom had made lamb that day so i tore a few pieces of that into the bowl and that's all the items i wanted in my salad.

Now the salad dressing. In a pestle and mortar, i put in a whole clove of crushed garlic (my mistake .. the correct amount was half a clove. i had the taste of garlic in my mouth the whole afternoon..sigh) Then i added six anchovies and mushed them all together. Then one heaped tablespoon of yogurt (the actual recipe called for creme fraiche) and 1 part white wine vinegar and 3 parts olive oil. Salt and pepper and mushed it all up. Taste test and it was yummy!!!

Poured it over the leaves and tossed it around. I didn't have parmesan or all the trimmings the recipe called for and yet the salad was really good. So with the trimming it would have been out of this world i reckon !

No comments:

Post a Comment