Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Where's the Temppanyaki stall ?

After coming back to Singapore from Brisbane, I went to Junction 8 with my family. I was honestly quite surprised to see so many changes. The place looks like its made up of three minor shopping malls. There’s the main body that has the movie theatre in it. Then there’s one across from it that has some good restaurants like Pasta Mania and Din Tai Fung. I’ve heard that the latter serves really good Dim Sum. Hmmm will give it a try soon. Then there’s this extension at the side that has other outlets and a Coffee Bean. The whole place honestly needs a revamp. Everything has to be put under one roof.Anyway, we wanted to watch a movie but were too late, so we went to the Coffee Bean for drinks. I had my usual, the Vanilla Non-Coffee ice blended since I don’t like drinking coffee…anyway my drink was yummy !! .. lip smackingly good as always. We decided to have Temppanyaki for dinner and proceeded to the fourth floor to the Kopitiam

To my horror, it was no longer there. In its place was this Prata Café .. arghhhh … where is it ??? Where’s the temppanyaki stall. I love the way the food is cooked fresh in front of you. The chef first cooks the vegetables. One serving of a leafy vegetable and one serving of bean sprouts. Nothing fancy. Just sautéed in oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. But delicious.

Chef with the veges

After that the meat gets cooked. The last time I was there, I had chicken. My uncle G took squid and my mom had shitake mushrooms. The secret to the great taste is the sauce. Its prepared in advance and kept in a container. After the chef cooks the meat, he ladles spoonfuls of the savory sauce over the meat. The sauce is so versatile that it is used for every meat, chicken, pork, beef, fish, squid, mushroom.. everything ! Once cooked, the meat is placed on an aluminum sheet that is stuck on the hot griddle in front of you. If you want the meat to cool down, simply remove the meat and place it on your plate. If you want it heated up, just place back onto the aluminum. It’s that simple.

Here comes the meat


No comments:

Post a Comment