Thursday, January 19, 2006

Breadtalk

I have many weaknesses and one of them is bread. I would easily say no to rice anytime but not to bread. In the words of Britney Spears “ I’m a .. huh huh slave.. to you ….” …Drool drool

I enjoy every and any form of bread, plain , studded with nuts or raisins or the traditional bread made from wheat or rye but my ultimate favourite is the bread made in Chinese bakeries all over Singapore. These buns are in between being cakes and breads. Soft and chewy and with a hint of sweetness. The ones sold in Breadtalk get an eggwash and that altogether gives these beauties another dimension in appearance. Golden, resplendent and Yummy !!!

When I went to Breadtalk the other day, I noticed that new items had been created for Chinese New Year. One of it, which I got, was something that resembled a dog. I think the reason for this being; it is the year of the dog. Anyway, what attracted me to it was the glace cherry that was used for the nose. Don’t you think it’s cute …It was filled with delicious chocolate and pecans. My only complaint is that the filling is too little.

Doggy Bread

Another thing that I always get when I go to Breadtalk is the Pizza bun. Ooh… imagine soft, sweet bread studded with chunks of hotdogs and slices of succulent onions and capsicums, all topped generously with cheese. Sometimes the cheese oozes to the sides and gets a bit burnt. I simply love nibbling on them even though they’re usually stuck to the paper case.

Pizza Bun

The final piece that I got was a variation from the normal hotdog bun. In this bun, the hotdog is divided into two and joined together. The middle is then brushed with some herby butter, though I could not taste what herb it was. Either way, all three buns were scrumptious.

Twist on the hot dog

I have always enjoyed the bread from Breadtalk except for one, which I cannot stomach or should I say, cannot nose. It was a bun filled with lap cheong, bonito flakes and to my horror wasabi mayonnaise, which I failed to take note of. A few seconds after my first bite, I could feel my whole nasal passage clearing up. It was like someone was blowing steam up my nose and into my brain. Aiyaiyai .. my eyes began to water but I thought maybe the second bite would be less potent. I was wrong .. and that was all I could have. What a waste. I ended up picking on the bonito flakes and had to throw away the rest. No more wasabi for me thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment