Sunday, July 19, 2009

Macarons

Vanilla Macaron with Chocolate Ganache

Yesterday, my brother's friend J came over to the house and talked about the cookies i had made for my brother's birthday.. at first i thought he was talking about white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies but the description all pointed to the infamous Macaron. I had made choclate macarons the last time and he wondered if i could make some more. Sure i said.. no problem.. there has been heaps of ground almonds sitting in the frigde waiting for an excuse to become macarons. This was the time.

Topless beauty

They can be done really fast. I had the recipe in french and translated it. So there was the tant pour tant, and eggs and italian meringue. I love the smooth glossy voluptuos meringue. Oh so luscious. After incorporating all the ingredients, the so called magma like concoction was ready for some heat action. According to Piere Herme, the macarons should start at a hot temperature and then turned down. I didn't do such things and left them at the recomended temperature of 170 degree celcius.

Oops something went wrong

Some of them came out cracked on the top and some beautiful and exactly the way they should be. I think it might have been the temperature because i found the perfect ones amongst the cracked ones so it can't be the batter right ? I guess i'll just have to experiment a few more times before nailing this cookie.


No comments:

Post a Comment