Sunday, July 26, 2009

Indian Food in Hong Kong 2008

Woodlands Indian Restaurant in Hong Kong

It was all my Mom's fault. She was vegetarian during the trip and insisted that i brought her to Woodlands an Indian restaurant that she found in the travel books we had borrowed from the library. We tried to find it the second day but to no avail. On the second attempt the third day, a nice security guard pointed us in the right direction. Apparently the restaurant had shifted. Thank goodness it was only to the next building so we didn't mind the walk.

South Indian Tali Set

I must have had something to eat earlier because i remember not wanting to have anything. Mom on the other hand ordered a Tali set.. it comes with rice, Indian bread (poori), papadums, 6 or 7 dhals and vegetable dishes, yogurt, pickle and payasum.

Poori is just a dough made with flour and water, rolled really thin and deep fried. As it fries, it magically puffs up and stays that way until its surface is broken with hungry fingers.

Payasum is vermicelli cooked in milk and sweetened with jaggery or cane sugar. Sometimes, fried cashews and raisins or sago balls are added for texture.

I was rolling my eyes the whole time because i could not substabtiate having Indian food in Hong Kong. It was all for my mom. I hope she knows that.

Kulfi

I could only think of having dessert to keep me sane. So I had Indian ice cream, better known as Kulfi. It was the traditional ice cream served in India when refrigeration was not yet invented. So its much harder than than the ice cream we know. It's super creamy and dense. The one i had was flavoured with pitachios and cardomons. Mmm. very Indian.. very nice. Made me a tad bit happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment